In need of a guide

OP Eminginjo • 2 weeks ago

Hello, I am a beginner who just thought to go and play yugioh today, I tried finding a guide online, but it wasn't very clear, anyone want to give a small guide to how yugioh works? That would be appreciated thanks

FlooffyBeast • 1 week ago

Oh, boy. Just covering all the need-to-know information takes like a 3-hour seminar.

The Epsilonity • 1 week ago

I'd be happy to help! I will try to put all of the info I can. Please make sure to ask any questions you may have. By the way, I am going into this explanation inferring that you know what a playfield looks like (i.e. monster field zones, graveyard, etc.) If you do not know this, please let me know, and I will explain.

There are three types of cards: monsters, spells, and traps. I will go over each in detail.

Monsters - Monster cards consist of a level/rank, an effect (most of the time), a type (such as Winged-Beast, Fiend, Zombie, etc.), an attribute (such as Wind, Dark, Fire, etc.), attack points, and defense points. Spells and Traps look similar, but without types, attributes, levels, or attack/defense points. Your One Stop Trading Card Center: Anatomy of a Yu-Gi-Oh! Trading Card |  Trading cards, Trading cards game, Card games

A card can be summoned in a variety of ways, but the two most common ways are Normal and Special summoning. When you Normal summon a card, you can either place it face-up in Attack position or face-down in Defense position, but you only get one Normal summon per turn. A couple things to explain here: in Attack position, your monster can attack another monster (or the player, if none present), but if attacked, you lose the difference of the attack  points of the opponent's card and yours. In Defense position, you cannot attack, but you take no damage if your card is destroyed. If a card is face-up, you can use its effect properly and it acts regularly. If it is face-down, however, it only matters how many attack/defense points it has. Every other detail you will need, such as summoning from the Extra Deck, requires a more thourough explanation, but I will explain if you need.

If you Special summon a card, its because an effect was activated that allows it to be summoned. You can do as many of these as you want in a turn, and the requirements to do one depends on the card.

Spells - These are more simple. These are cards that rpovide effects, such as drawing cards, summoning monsters, or sending cards to the Graveyard. Spells are activated from the hand, and only on your turn. There are a few exceptions, but they are few and far between.

Traps - These are similar to Spells, but they are activated from your Spell/Trap field on your opponent's turn. They usually require something to happen, and that will be described on your Trap card's effect area. You can activate as many of these that are triggered on your opponent's turn.

Now, onto certain game events. In some cases, you might Chain events, which is when players activate effects in response to another effect. When a chain ends, the most recent effect activates first, then the next, and so on.

In order to win a game of Yugioh, there are a couple of commonly used ways. You could either bring your opponent's life points to 0 or you could make it where they cannot draw any more cards. Of course, a player may surrender as well. 

If you are wanting to learn more, I would either play on Yugioh Master Duel, a free application that teaches the basics, or Yugioh Nexus, a free browser app that lets you use every card ever made with the most up-to-date banlists.

That's a super basic run-down, but I can definitely put more info if need be. Happy dueling!

OP Eminginjo • 1 week ago
The Epsilonity:

I'd be happy to help! I will try to put all of the info I can. Please make sure to ask any questions you may have. By the way, I am going into this explanation inferring that you know what a playfield looks like (i.e. monster field zones, graveyard, etc.) If you do not know this, please let me know, and I will explain.

There are three types of cards: monsters, spells, and traps. I will go over each in detail.

Monsters - Monster cards consist of a...

thanks!