|Deck Type:||Meta Decks|
|Deck Master:||True King of All Calamities|
|Submission Date:||December 20th 2020|
|YGOPRODeck File Download|
|High Quality Decks|
Hello and welcome to my Dragon link build! This is an updated version of my old build that I uploaded last week. The combo for the last build was a 3 card combo and was very conditional, but I have updated it into a 1.5 card combo! Dragon Link is not going anywhere anytime soon! It even ends on the same end board as the last combo! This new combo requires any of the starters and any of the extenders or Rokket Tracer in hand to achieve. I also made this build having 2 main goals - to minimize bricks and to make it consistent. This is my favorite deck of all time alongside thunder dragons (coincidentally also in this deck) and I have put a lot of effort into making the deck, combos, typing all this up and making my video so I really hope you enjoy it!
Full Combo = Starter + Extender or Rokket Tracer
Full combo = Romulus + Extender or Rokket Tracer
Full combo results in -
Hand rip 1
Look at opponent’s extra deck and banish 1
Banish top card of opponent’s deck
Apollusa (2 negates)
True King of All Calamities (free win)
It does not matter how you get to romulus, you just need to get to romulus, you can do it with all of the starters or you can even use 2 extenders or 1 extender and a normal summon to do so, it does not matter. If you can get to Romulus, you are good. There are many other ways to do the same combo, for example you can do starter + silverrokket or if you draw absorouter you can do it another way - the thing is if you can get romulus to the field and have 1 way to get another monster to the field, you have full combo.
This is obviously post december 2020 banlist and since linkross, buster lock and smoke grenade got banned, this deck uses True King of all Calamities aka VFD as the main negate/win condition. This is a very consistent version of dragon link and you should be able to combo off very easily. To achieve this new combo I am utilizing the thunder dragons (dragondark and dragonroar). Dragonroar is not a brick it can be used with chaos space to achieve full combo (I show how to do this down below) but you NEVER want to see a dragondark in you hand EVER (No really drawing it is really bad).
If you want to learn how to do this new 1.5 card dragon link combo, I recommend you watch my youtube video - In it I explain all my card choices and also show the combo. Please subscribe to the channel and like the video it is a great way to support me and the channel. Also be sure to answer the poll question down below! Today’s poll question is: Imagine you are entering a HUGE Yugioh tournament, what deck would you use?
Link to the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmS1gtrr9ig
|Starters||I am running 9 starters in this deck, 3 of all black metal dragon, chaos space (the best one) and Sefert. They are the cards that get your combo aka Romulus on your field and you will and want to see them in your hand all the time. If there is a case where you don’t see a starter in your hand, go into romulus using extenders! Getting any 2 dragons on the field = a starter and is a full combo! (with an extender or tracer)|
|Extenders||I am running a lot of extenders since you will require them for the combo as well as to play through handtraps. The obvious ones are noctovision dragon, quick launch, world legacy gaurdragon and monster reborn. The not so obvious ones are - if your starter was black metal dragon then chaos space, white dragon and black dragon are extenders; if your starter was sefert then darkness metal dragon and chaos space (can search emperor) serve as extenders and if your starter was chaos space, darkness metal dragon and black metal dragon serve as extenders. Rokket tracer can be a replacement extender for the combo and also serves as an extender because it allows you to use Dragon Ravine to mill absorouter dragon and add another rokket to the hand so you can use boot and special summon 2 rokkets, and you don’t need an extra extender or it can even mill galactic spiral dragon which you can use to XYZ into Number 38 which is an extra negate!|
|Handtraps and Removal||I am running 3 ash blossom, 3 gamma and 3 Imperm for the handtraps. I chose these specifically for a variety of reasons. Ash is one of the best handtraps in the game and can counter just about everything. Gamma in my opinion is the best handtrap of this format because it can counter VDF, It can protect you from getting hit with an ash when you tribute sefert or when you activate chaos space, when you use quick launch and some other cases as well. It also serves as a way to turbo out savage as soon as striker dragon hits the grave so that your combo can be nibiru proof. I am also running imperm because it is a solid handtrap in general and also because it cannot be negated with stuff like called by the grave. For removal I am running 3 cosmic cyclone, it is a solid card and can wreck backrow and mystic mine players. It is also a great counter to Virtual World, one of the top tier meta decks of this format since it gets rid of the trap gate which results in no target for the virtual world monsters to special summon themselves.|
Only 3 Bricks! (Cards you don’t want to see in your hand) -
There are only a few bricks in this deck. I count 3 real bricks. As I mentioned above, Thunder Dragondark is a brick, because you can’t do your combo if you draw it and it is a dead card in the hand. Another brick is PSY-frame Driver, but this is a brick I well worth playing because you need to to use gamma and gamma is the BEST handtrap in my opinion of this format. The last brick is Boot Sector Launch - it isn’t a dead card in hand or anything but you just don’t want to draw it because you are going to search it for free off of Striker dragon and nobody ashes a striker dragon (But there are always exceptions...). I have got this a lot saying absorouter dragon and galactic spiral dragon are bricks, here’s the thing - they are not, you can discard both of them from your hand and they are still useful and absorouter acts as an extra extender since it can special summon itself from the hand! Also drawing another rokket (not tracer) is also not that bad because you can summon itself and tracer from your hand for the combo, so you don’t need an extender! (That's why I said an extender or tracer because if you have tracer in hand you can mill absorouter using ravine add a rokket and then special summon both tracer and that rokket)
Going up against current meta and side deck choices -
The best meta decks of the format right now are Dinos, Virtual World, Zoodiac-Zeus, Drytron and just VFD in general. I have included counter measures in the main and side decks to deal with these. For dinos I am running 3 lancea to completely destroy them (are very dependent on banishing) and I am running 3 cosmic cyclone in the main deck to get rid of the lost world. To deal with Virtual world I am running 3 cosmic cyclone in the main deck to get rid of the traps gate they need to target to combo off and I am also running 3 Ice dragon’s Prison in the side deck to deal with the monsters they normal summon as targets for the Virtual World monsters. To deal with Zeus I am running the Dinowrestler and the Kaijus in the side deck. Finally to counter VFD I am running the gamma package in the main deck and I am also running forbidden droplet in the side deck (Kaiju and the Dinowrestler don’t counter VFD since its effect can be activated during the standby phase). I am also running a Harpie’s Feather Duster in the side deck to counter basically any backrow decks including Zoodiac and Eldlich. Nibiru is also in the side deck to counter basically any deck! You can main deck it if you want but I chose not to. If you really want you can also side Mask Of Restrict to counter Drytron, another meta contender. I have not been seeing too much Drytron so I decided to not side deck Mask of Restrict. Ice Dragon’s Prison, nibiru and ash blossom do a pretty good job dealing with Drytron and I wasn’t seeing too much Drytron so I figured that Mask of Restrict was not needed. You can side deck it if you are playing against a lot of Drytron, it is really your choice. You can side Dimensional Barrier to counter Drytron as well.
Changes you can make to the deck -
There are some changes you can definitely make to this deck, you don't have to but here are some things you can do!
- Include the dragoon package- you are playing some extra bricks but you have extra deck space, you don’t need all the cards in there for the combo (you may want to play a 50 or 60 card deck if you want to include this)
- Add in more thunder dragon cards and/or add in thunder dragon fusion and titan - you can do this as well because in the combo after dragondark leaves the field you don’t search anything using its effect, you can utilize this opportunity to search something like Thunder dragon Fusion or Thunder Dragonhawk! (RIP Colossus we will remember you) I would go full 60 and add the dragoon package since verte can mill red-eyes fusion Thunder Dragon fusion and summon Titian and it can also mill red-eyes fusion and summon dragoon, it just works together better. You can even play 2 dragondark so drawing 1 won’t be the end of the world since you have another one in the main deck so you can do the combo
- Make it a 40 card deck - you can cut the handtraps/removal cards and the extenders down to a lower size and make it a 40 card deck, I felt like for consistency I need to make it 50 but 40 cards are also great!
- Make it a 60 card deck! (If this is one of your choices I like the way you are thinking!) - you should add in more extenders and removal cards if you are making it a 60 card deck, I would also put in the Dragoon package if I was going full 60 since there is a lower chance of drawing those bricks. If you are afraid to play the slow game you can also add a second boot sector launch and/or a second absorouter since you have space, in this case boot won’t be a brick since you are going to get another one via striker dragon to the hand anyway.
- Main nibiru - the only reason I did not main Nibiru was because I was playing against dinos and Virtual World a lot and they both counter Nibiru very easily. Dinos use Miscell and Virtual World can make Number 75 before doing the VFD combo, it is your personal choice to do this or not.
- Side deck Ghost reaper and winter cherries - this is mainly to counter VFD and you can put it in if you wish, it does a great job against decks like virtual world, it can also get rid of dragoon if you choose to run it and it is also budget. It is an amazing pick because VFD is everywhere. You can also get rid of halq using reaper. The good thing about using reaper is that you will look at the opponent’s extra deck with Trish so you know what is in it, so depending on that you can add reaper from the side deck to the main deck depending on what the opponent is playing. I thought this was not needed but some people are even side decking zeus as a reaper target, this is ok if you have space.
Budget alternatives -
Not everyone can afford to buy every single card in this deck so I decided to throw in some budget alternatives as well. Dragon link is definitely not a budget deck but if you want to save some money here are some tips. The 1st one is handtraps, imperm is $30-40 and is not cheap, you can switch it out for anything cheaper - effect veiler is an awesome replacement and does the exact same thing. If you cannot afford ash blossom which is $7-8 a copy (maximum gold) you can replace it for something like ghost ogre. The handtrap you 100% need to play is gamma which is $1-2 a copy and is reasonably cheap. Gamma as I mentioned is the best handtrap of the format and you have to run it. Another non budget card I am running is Chaos Emperor Dragon which is $30-35 a copy - you could run like an extra lavineer but it is not the same since emperor is a +1 and it returns itself back to the bottom of the deck. Halq is another non budget card I am running which is about $30 a copy, sadly you have to get this card for this deck to work, there are no replacements. Forbidden droplet in the side deck can be replaced by Dark ruler no more but droplet is much better because it is quick play and counter VFD, dark ruler does the same thing except it is not quick play sadly. This is a little unfortunate and is all the more reason to run gamma. You can also put in ghost reaper and winter cherries as an alternative to get rid of VFD. You can also run the dragoon package if you have money, Dragoon’s price has gone down from $50 when it was released to $30 right now- of course it is not in this deck and is optional to add. You may be wondering why I only included these in the list, that’s because everything else is fairly cheap! Some that you may think are expensive are really not, you just need to buy the correct reprint. Some examples -
- Apollusa ($3 maximum gold)
- Borrelsword ($3 maximum gold)
- Borreload savage ($7-8 Tin of lost memories)
- Unchained abomination ($1 tin of lost memories)
- Nibiru ($7-8 maximum gold)
- Striker dragon ($2-3 Tin of lost memories)
By alternatives what I mean is cards that you can put in if you are going for a larger deck or if you simply don’t like something in my deck or if you want to change up the ratios
- Starters some alternative starters are Chamber Dragonmaid and Parlor Dragonmaid paired with Dragonmaid Hospitality and Dragonmaid Tidying. You can normal summon chamber, search hospitality, link into striker, activate hospitality, bring back chamber and go into romulus (full combo with extender/any rokket) or you can normal parlor, mill tidying, link into striker, banish tidying to bring back parlor, and then link into romulus
- Extenders some other extenders include Supreme King Dragon Darkwurm (Great paired up with chaos space and dragon shrine/foolish burial), Tempest the Dragon Ruler of Storms(can also be banished off of trishula to search crusadia draco and milled with dragon shrine to get itself back), Crusaida Draco (tempest can search), the Dragunity Phalynx/Dragunity lance package, unexpected dai paired with flamevell guard and galaxy serpent (this makes it so you don’t have to play the 1 rokket synchron, halq can just summon serpent/guard), dragon shrine, foolish burial, one for one, more absorouter dragons and so many more
- Handtraps/Removal You can play some alternatives for handtraps but please run gamma it is essential if you want to win. Some alternatives are nibiru, ghost ogre, veiler and even skull mister. For removal some alternatives are lightning storm, twin twisters and alpha the king of all beasts. You can also add knightmare Phoenix/knightmare unicorn replacing unchained abomination and/or heraldic seal - you don’t need those for the combos
Typical end board -
The typical end board should be VFD, Apollusa and a Number 38 and/or a Borreload Savage Dragon. But always, there are exceptions. If your board gets hit by a nibiru or something a typical endboard would be a Borreload Savage and/or number 38 at the very least and can also include something like a heraldic seal. The deck is good at comboing with less resources and is also good at setting up multiple negate boards including VDF which I also like to call a free win. When going second a well established board may include VFD, Apollusa and something to finish the opponent off like borrelsword dragon or unchained abomination. In general Dragon Link is a solid deck and can do a lot of amazing combos but everything comes down to practice and how well you know to play this deck! Practise makes perfect! But all I can say is the deck is not going anywhere anytime soon!
How to combo if you draw Dragonroar (ss = Special Summon) -
- activate chaos space, discard dragonroar, add white dragon
- Banish dragon roar to ss white dragon
- Dragonroar effect, ss dragondark from deck
- Go into striker dragon and romulus doing the combo like usual
After this you just do the same combo as the one in the video, just pretend the dragondark isn’t there and you can banish whatever you want with trish, if you are going full 60 you can banish tempest and add crusadia draco to your hand! This will be an extra extender you can use to go into savage/number 38 if you have spiral.
Final tips -
Some tips/mistakes I see a lot of players make while playing this deck. Put your negates in defense mode - it is very important to put your negates in defense mode when possible (links are an exception) mainly cards like VFD, number 38 and Borreload savage, putting them in attack mode is a risk and if your opponent lightning storms you, you must waste that savage negate/number 38 negate and in the case of VFD, if you need to stall out a little longer you can even use its effect on the opponent’s next turn but if you get hit with lightning storm because VFD was in attack, well you can’t do that anymore. There was a point when my savage dragon had 4500 attack but still I put it in defense because the negate is what matters, you can kill your opponent on the following turn. Another common mistake is people not making savage/apollusa as soon as possible - nibiru still beats this deck and it is important to make these before you get hit hard. For example as soon as you have something like gamma/driver I like to make a savage as soon as striker dragon hits the graveyard. Keep those in mind while playing this deck!
Again, if you want to learn how to do this new 1.5 card dragon link combo, I recommend you watch my youtube video - In it I explain all my card choices and it shows the combo as well. Overall Dragon Link is still a solid deck and the Banlist changed very little of how good the deck is. It does change the combos and the endboard and all but it doesn't change how the deck is played overall. If you play this deck more and practise I am sure you will get better at playing this deck and you will start winning duels! Practise makes perfect. Let’s take Dragon Link to the next level! Hope you have fun playing and messing around with this deck! Let me know your thoughts about the poll question down below!
Link to the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmS1gtrr9ig
Thanks and I will see you next time! :D
- Despia NEW Archetype 2021 - April 9, 2021
- 1 card = Titan – Thunder Dragon deck ft. Retort Fusion - April 9, 2021
- ANTI META Chaos Thunder Dragon Combos 2021 - April 6, 2021