Spright Runick for Duelist Cup (March 2022)
0 Comments 2,390 Views Uploaded 2 months ago
Spright Runick is arguably the current reigning champion of Masterduel meta as of March 2023. The ridiculously strong combination of Spright and Runick's smothering control and endless grind game create a deck that all strategies would have to fear and respect. Sprights ending on 3-5 interruptions (Red's monster negate, Carrot's S/T negate, Smasher's banish, and I:P Masquerena's quick link) combined with Runick's draw 3 and quick play spells generally stop any deck cold in their tracks. Both archetypes combined have a potential 10+ interruptions for your opponent to slog through, while maintaining a superior resource loop - outpacing most other strategies!
If you want to win and reach Diamond 1 or reach max rank in Duelist Cup in Masterduel with a relentlessly strong control strategy, you've chosen to pilot the correct deck!
ARCHETYPES AND DECKBUILDING
SPRIGHT has 8 one card starters in the deck (3 Blue, 3 Jet and 2 Starter). In any case, if you don't open any of these cards, 2 level 2 monsters would create Gigantic Spright, leading to full Spright combo. Spright has immense synergy with Runick since their quick play spells summoning Hugin already fulfills one of the two level 2s needed for Gigantic Spright or Spright Elf!
There are 16 RUNICK quick play spells in the deck to maximize the chances of drawing 2-3 in your opening hand in a deck of 40 cards. Ideally, the duelist would use 1 quick play spell to summon Hugin, searching for Runick Fountain, 1 for the discard for Hugin's cost to search, and the last quick play spell to trigger Fountain, drawing you 2-3 cards. After Hugin is established on board, it is a level 2 - enabling your Spright combo.
The rest of the deck is composed of STAPLES, designed to counter the current meta of Masterduel. 2 of each staple rather than 3 is used to lower the likelihood of drawing multiples of the same card. 2 Cosmic Cyclone is generally useful, and more so important in the common Runick mirror match to banish Fountain. 2 Lava Golem is used to tribute through established boards, especially when versing other Spright players. Lava Golem is great in this deck since it doesn't require it's normal summon. 2 Maxx "C" and 2 Ash Blossom are always really good in OCG-centred Masterduel format. Drawing more cards with Maxx "C" is great for keeping other decks in check while providing you with more Runick ammunition to play with.
COMBOS AND GAMEPLAN
Spright Runick's gameplan is to interrupt and negate your opponent so much that you out resource them. If they don't outright surrender, the strategy is to deck them out in an extended grind game as Spright Elf recovers/recycles Sprights in the GY and Runick Fountain draws you up to 3 cards every turn. Theoretically, your opponent will be so helpless and out-resourced that they cannot come close to attacking you for game, especially as you and your monsters hide behind your Avramax.
Here is the mainline combo for this Spright Runick:
Spright 1 card starter + Runick quick play spell(s) = Spright Elf, I:P Masquerena, 3-5 cards and possibly Spright Red/Carrot with a set Smashers.
- Activate Runick quick play spell to summon Hugin.
- Hugin searches for Runick Fountain. Discard a card for cost (Ideally you discard another Runick quick play to draw more with Runick Fountain You can also discard another Spright since it can be revived later by Elf).
- Activate Runick Fountain. If you can trigger Runick Fountain with another quick play spell, activate it to draw 1-3 cards. It is best to do this after you finish all your searching with your Spright combo to increase your chances of drawing into more Runick quick-play spells or handtraps.
- Activate your 1 card Spright starter. Do the full Spright combo! (Spright Blue -> Spright Jet -> Searches Starter or Smashers).
- Use Hugin + Blue/Jet to XYZ summon Gigantic.
- Activate Gigantic's effect to summon your level 2 (Capshell/Iperia draw 1, Red/Carrot negate) of choice from deck by detaching the Spright material.
- Link away Blue/Jet and level 2 summoned from deck to link summon Spright Elf.
- Elf summons level 2 of choice from GY.
- Link away Level 2 from GY + Gigantic Spright = I:P Masquerena.
- If you have any other extenders, summon them, and set any cards you want to use in the backrow like Smashers.
This combo should leave you with Spright Elf's quick summon from GY, I:P Masquerena's quick link, and perhaps a negate with Spright Red/Carrot. You may have drawn 3-5 cards due to Runick Fountain, Ipiria and Capshell, leaving you with many of interruptions ready in your hand. You also may have a set Smashers or Cosmic Cyclone.
During your opponent's turn, you may have 3-10 interruptions ready for them (highly dependent on opening hand and draws). Your life points and low ATK monsters are protected as you link away Elf + Masquerena for Avramax (You can also link into Unicorn for the targeted shuffle or Underworld Goddess for blanket negate and GY summon negate). On top of that, you will continue to draw additional cards with Runick Fountain on your opponent's turn!
Due to your immense pressure as you choke your opponent out of their possible plays and banish their deck, they will surrender in no time as they are out-resourced and out-matched!
- If you want to play safe to protect your combos, summon Spright Red early so it can negate the ever-prevalent Ash Blossom and Nibiru.
- Verses S/T strategies, summon Spright Carrot to protect your plays. This is useful in Runick matchups and the occasional Labrynth player.
- Little known fact, you can still successfully use I:P Masquerena in this strategy if your opponent drops Dark Ruler No More! CL1 your opponent uses Dark Ruler, CL2 you use one of your quick play spells, then CL3 I:P Masquerena activates her quick link effect! Ideally she links away your monsters (who would otherwise be negated) for Underworld Goddess, who is unaffected by Dark Ruler No More.
- Avramax is the ideal I:P Masquerena link target, linking with Elf. After your opponent's first action in main phase (CL1), chain Masquerena's effect (CL2), then Elf's effect to summon from GY (CL3). Avramax is a monster many decks have difficulty outing since he is untargetable, indestructible (due to Masquerena) and mostly unkillable in battle! Your lifepoints and low ATK monsters are in good hands with him around!
- If your opponent resolves Maxx "C," don't continue with the Spright combo. It just isn't worth it giving your opponent 10+ cards. Your Runick cards are still a potent force!
- Keep in mind that with Spright Runick, your Extra Monster Zone is used up by Spright Elf - meaning you can't protect your cards from destruction effects by summoning Hugin.
- Dharc the Dark Charmer is full Spright combo. Dharc summons dark monster from opponent's GY -> Link away into Spright Elf -> Elf summon level 2 from GY -> Elf + level 2 makes Gigantic Spright -> Proceed to Spright combo!
I would say that Spright Runick is the ultimate meta deck as of March 2023 (If you pilot this deck, you are officially a hardcore, no-fun, meta sheep. Be proud of the title!!! >:D)
Resilient, flexible, and powerful, Spright Runick can play through most end boards while preventing any strategy from starting their plays. Reach Diamond 1 and max level Duelist Cup as you crush your opponents with your 10+ interruptions/negates while you draw 2-5 extra cards per turn!
Other Decks on ygoprodeck.com
Login to join the YGOPRODeck discussion!
Red: 1st Card Draw
Shuffled using Fisher Yates algorithm
Are you sure you wish to delete this deck? Once a deck is deleted, it cannot be retrieved.
Master Duel Cost Breakdown
Export to Image
Export to List
Export to Tabletop Simulator
Export Deck to Master Duel/Neuron
You can export your deck directly from YGOPRODeck to Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel or Neuron using our Web Browser extension!
Simply install the extension, and click the button below to export your deck to Master Duel or Neuron! It will bring you to the Official Konami Database. Once there, you can edit a deck and hit the "Import clipboard and save" button!
Price Deck from TCGplayer
Total Estimated Deck Price:
This tool attempts to find the lowest Market Price for each card on TCGplayer.
|Card||Qty||Price ea||Card Set|
Prices not found for the following cards:
Download Deck images
This will download all images used in this deck and zip them up for you. This is done on your computer and could take a minute or so to complete so please do not close the page.