Competition: Favorite Card Art?

Forums General Discussion Competition: Favorite Card Art?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Stephen Redmond 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    YGOPRODeck
    YGOPRODeck
    Site Admin
    Topics: 16
    Replies: 46

Competition time again!

Prize

Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist Steam x1

Rules

• One Winner
    • Up to 3 cards can be picked as your favorite artwork
    • Give an explanation on at least one of them
    • Images are allowed but use them along with the card button
    • Must use the Yu-Gi-Oh! card button to showcase the card (see screenshot below)
    • No double posting/spam

Competition Date

21st March 2017 – 2nd April 2017

Example

Type out the card name exactly as it is, highlight it and hit the card button. If the card name isn’t typed correctly it won’t work. Refer to the database when testing card names.

I’ll begin.

By far my favorite art is Darkness Approaches. I’ve always loved the artwork on this card.

A cold, windy night. Walking through a dark forest until you come to a clearing and look up and all you can see is endless darkness swirling towards you.

A  close second favorite would be Gate Guardian.

Third would be Meteor B. Dragon.

Yes, my favorite card is The Legendary Fisherman III

Badaaron
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

Des Dendle has got to be one of my favorites. Its one of the most menacing looking yugioh cards of all time, with a dark aura to it, and you wonder what the actual monster is, wondering what it could be and why its so menacing, until upon closer inspection, you notice that the actual monster is the fungus growing on this vampire orchid’s roots..

another one of my favorites for sure has got to be Old Entity Hastorr for his simply badass pose and appearance in front of a giant beast that he seems to be the master of. the current of wind that flows around his hand indicating his immense power just really make me respect this guy.

And my third card would be Masked Beast Des Gardius, easily one of my favorite card designs, this dude looks creepy and at the same time badass as hell. he looks like he is straight from the underworld, ready to kill, and his faces will never loose sight of you. The darkness around him speaks for itself.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    DuelingDuelistDrew
    DuelingDuelistDrew
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 6

Appropriate is my favorite card. It helped my channel off the ground. It is one of my favorite decks I posted to the this site.

My second favorite is Pot of Greed for a few simple reasons. It was an amazing draw support card. I actually made one in irl with clay but I got rid of it but I kinda miss it even though I discolored it. And I liked its impact in the yugioh abridged series.

My final favorite card is Necroface (yeah I know its kinda weird looking but it is nice). It is so cute and creepy at the same time.

Vexusr
    Participant

My favorite card is Dark Blade, I really like him and he’s the only card out of the three that i actually own. He looks so badass and threatening. Sadly I dont play him much since he’s a normal monster, but he still has a special place in my heart.

My second most favourite card is Brilliant Fusion because I like the gems and how they look so pleasing to the eye.

My third most favourite card is Kozmo Dark Planet, I like the theme of the whole Kozmo archetype but I think that card represents the archetype the best

Song Li
    Participant

My favorite card is Number 34: Terror-Byte. One obvious reason is that you get to take your opponent’s monsters. With this ability, you can use your opponents monster to fusion, ritual, synchro, xyz or simply attack. Another reason is that it has good defense. With defense that high, it is a near guarantee that I would be able to defend against most attacks. The art also reminds me of a mechanical  version of my dog on Halloween.

My second favorite would be Double Attack. With me using a Dark World deck, I get to discard a card, letting me use my monster’s effect, while being able to attack twice with a high attack monster. The art reminds me of  my dad.

My third favorite would be Achacha Archer. With many spells and traps being continuous and annoying, this card is able to get rid of it all. By just summoning it, I get to destroy any spell or trap. Who wouldn’t want that? The art reminds me of Daryl Dixon from The Walking Dead.

JellyMan
    JellyMan
    Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 12

Eternal Soul would be my favorite card.The art represents how Dark Magician,or rather,Mahad,will forever fight by the Pharaoh’s side — be it tommorow or 5000 years later.The card is also a reference to the stone tablets shown in the anime.

My second favorite is probably Purge Ray.It shows the Yuma would give up his ace to help out his friend,Shark,as depicted by its artwork and effect.

My last favorite art(actually darkness approaches but I can’t use that as it is an example) will have to be Shadow Spell.Surrounded by eternal darkness,binded by chains and unable to move.I get the feeling this card was inspired by what happens to a person when they lose in a shadow game in the GX manga.

thepanandthecake
    Participant

I have been a massive fan of the TCG and anime for a long time, with the original series set in duelist kingdom having some fond memories of my childhood. That doesn’t meant every single one of my favourite card artworks is going to be from the first season, but it certainly holds some sentimental value, as many old cards that don’t see competitive play can still be nice to look at.

My all-time favourite card art would have to go to Unity. This may seem like a cop-out or an obvious choice for someone who really enjoyed the anime, but there is no denying that this cards artwork is memorable to say the least. Unity’s art is the main yugioh protagonists all placing their hands on top of each other (a bit like in the first episode of yugioh, where Tea puts a smiley face on everyone hands),  this ultimately was my favourite card art for being unique in that it capitalises on the link between the TCG and the anime, as it shows that the main characters from the show, and really pushes home that feeling of synergy as they are united in the art, which in respect, is much like the cards actual effect. As the effect emphasises both the title of the card,and what the art shows, as one monster will essentially be protected by every other monster that is on the field, showing, much like Yugi’s friends, that the monsters will stick to protect each other, no matter what may be facing them.

A close second would have to be the artwork of Lava Golem, this card just strikes home as being a very powerful card with 3000 attack to boast, but with that power coming an unstable / uncontrollable monster, with the artwork to back that up. While you may first notice the luminous lava and the somewhat beautiful mix of darkened molten rock, and the striking reds and oranges of flowing lava, you will also see that the golem actually has a shaded figure attached to the creature via a steel cage. This is one of my favourite aspects of this card, as when it is summoned to the opponents field from its effect, the duelist is placed inside this cage, and its secondary effect of dealing 1000 damage every turn, is illustrated by lava dripping onto the duelist who is caged within lava golem, which unfortunately happened to be Joey against Marik (pictured below).

Finally, coming in at third, after much thought, is Pot of Duality. Now while this card does seem a tad plain when compared to that of my other two favourites, there is just something that I like about this cards idea and its art. While the pot itself seems quite tranquil, with the peaceful look on its face, something about this card just drives home what I love about yugioh, and that is the dichotomy of good vs evil, and the idea of continuity within the yugioh universe. The background of this card is split into two colours, that being the red of greed, and blue of duality, but that is only the back stage to the centre piece which is the pot itself, which is a combination of “pot of greed”, and “pot of duality”. I always liked this about yugioh, how cards would appear within others worlds, such as the rivalry of “magical scientist” and “kozaky”, and not forgetting the “ojamas” of course, who have appeared in many a card art, which is a nice thought, that every monster/spell/trap exists within their universe.

YGOPRODeck
    YGOPRODeck
    Site Admin
    Topics: 16
    Replies: 46

Congrats to Vexusr on winning! Big thanks to everyone who participated. Stay tuned for more in the future!

Yes, my favorite card is The Legendary Fisherman III

Attachments:

Stephen Redmond
    Participant

I just realized I posted after the deadline was passed. Ignore this and carry on.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

YGOPRODeck

91 User(s) Online Join Server