Discuss Yu-Gi-Oh! decks here including deck building strategies.
By SoulKing13
For this meta you need way more than just imperm. You're playing a control deck, I'd advise no less than 9 hand traps in the main. I'd suggest 3 imperm, 3 gamma, 3 nibiru; they're all the highest impact and hardest to play around. I think you need some more high impact cards, look into a sanctum scythe package. It would completely stop a dragon link or infernoble player's turn which you do need since your main engine is a bit too slow. You also don't normal summon much so consider sphere mode as a side deck option to break established combo boards
By KingJedi
@SoulKing13 I know this isn’t going to be consistently winning tournaments but do you have any ideas or advice to make Dark Magician at least viable or able to win and compete with meta decks?
SoulKing13 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:57 am
For this meta you need way more than just imperm. You're playing a control deck, I'd advise no less than 9 hand traps in the main. I'd suggest 3 imperm, 3 gamma, 3 nibiru; they're all the highest impact and hardest to play around. I think you need some more high impact cards, look into a sanctum scythe package. It would completely stop a dragon link or infernoble player's turn which you do need since your main engine is a bit too slow. You also don't normal summon much so consider sphere mode as a side deck option to break established combo boards
Those are options. But this deck kicks ass. Let me give you match results from each deck:

Salamangreats = Match 1: ✔ / Match 2: ❎ / Match 3: ✔
Infernoble Knights = Match 1: ✔ / Match 2: ❎ / Match 3: ✔
Altergeist = Match 1: ✔ / Match 2: ✔
Predaplant Verte/Dragoon = Match 1: ✔ / Match 2: ✔
Dinos = Match 1: ✔ / Match 2: ✔
Sky Strikers = Match 1: ✔ / Match 2: ✔
Eldlich = Match 1: ✔ / Match 2: ✔

Notes:
-*In the Salamangreats match up, player went first twice and still lost because I kept disrupting their plays and I manipulated The Dark Magicians effect to outpace/set Solemns/or Dogmatika traps face down to negate effects. Opponent took a beat down first match. I surrendered the second match because I got out maneuvered then I won the third by outpacing and disrupting the opponent again by banishing and negating so they lost after I remove that Borrel link monster due to Judgments effect, when I brought their LP down to 0.
-*Infernoble match up, they got it the worst. Disrupted their key cards and they surrendered going first in the first match. Second match they outpaced me by a slight margin due to the spam effects and Gearfrieds effect. Smfh. But then I came back to disrupt and banish their cards, they surrendered. Forbidden Droplets really pissed them off in both matches so they quitted the third.
-*Altergeists match up, so annoying but I stopped their traps and banished their monsters. They surrendered the first match, then in the second match they tried to come back but it failed when I summoned Dragoon on my first turn thanks to Timaeus (again) and Souls combo so it was surrender when realized they were out of options.
-*In the Verte match up, they summoned Dragoon first turn in the first match (I was scared at first) but I had Forbidden Droplet in my hand to bypass him and I summoned Dragoon in both matches to win. Second match, they tried to use Verte again going second but I negated it with Dragoon on the field (since I used Souls & the Timaeus combo) and they surrendered.
-*Dinos match up, TeamSamuraix1 deck with improved upgrades. Easy clap. Barely any inconvenience. Disrupted and drew a lot of cards thanks to The Dark Magicians. Opponent was mad and disconnected in the second match. I had 7 cards in my hand by the time my opponents LPs dropped to 0. I kept manipulating Magicians effect & Servant.
-*Sky Strikers match up, LMFAO. This deck kept adding spells that were useless when I kept disrupting the Strikers. Opponent lost both matches by surrendering. That girl card is annoying I had to banish her several times. Smfh.
-*Eldlich match up, also another deck that was easy to beat so thats done and over with. Finalized my win streak as 7-0 so far. Opponent surrendered both matches.

Toughest match ups were Infernobles perhaps and Salamangreats. If you negate the key cards you can stopped their whole combo. Negated cards maybe 2 or more times thanks to The Dark Magicians setting ability, the handtraps, Droplets, and my favorite card: Successor Soul. Successor Soul is highlight and MVP of this deck, it has not let me down in any of these match ups. Another great disruption.
Last edited by jobe04051993 on Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
KingJedi wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:46 am
@SoulKing13 I know this isn’t going to be consistently winning tournaments but do you have any ideas or advice to make Dark Magician at least viable or able to win and compete with meta decks?
This deck I posted is viable now. I realized the deck I used in my previous upload was beaten so easily by SoulKing13is because DM doesnt disrupt enough on your opponents turn and your opponent can get away with a lot (also causing yourself to missplay or a miss play even while distracted). But now with Dragoon and The Dark Magicians on your field, your opponent cant really stop this deck even with Ash Blossom (I negate it and/or it becomes a miss to some or most times since I got draw power). I tested this deck out at least 10 times with Nexus, Single matches, and ACTUAL matches (the ones I listed above with its TCG banlist follow up). Honestly this deck did way better than my previous deck after I lost to SoulKing. It actually stopped Infernobles this time around due to the disruptions including Droplets because of extra DM Circles on my field also helped along with Dragoon. Very great deck you should try. The key of this deck is going for Dragoon for negation and going for The Dark Magicians for draw power/negation when you set a trap face down. Great combos and disruptions especially with Impermanence too.

Deck looks confusing at first but you'll get the hang of it. Very good deck. I really outdid myself on this one. I still feel like it could be better with certain cards but I stay creating a lot of DM decks to see what works best. I create about 10 different DM decks per month so DM can keep up with the meta and be more relevant. So I'll still keep you informed on any changes.
Last edited by jobe04051993 on Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
By SoulKing13
Good job bud :) I think once you become comfortable with this deck try it out on duelingbook rated. There's a big skill gap between the players on nexus on those on duelingbook so once you become confident in your skills and you know the combos in your deck, try out a different platform and different people. I dont think you should play exclusively on nexus as it doesn't attract very strong players. Nexus typically attracts people who are just learning decks so the skill gap can be fairly low. I'm sure good players do use nexus from time to time however the majority of higher skilled players do not use nexus. Branch out :)
By SoulKing13
@KingJedi it honestly would take a lot of DM to compete in today's meta though DM has some interesting tools post megatins. Destined Rivals is a really cool card though a bit slower than something like psy-framegear gamma and imperm which are just better due to being able to be used more liberally that DR. I'd say you should play at least 9 hand traps (Main-decking 3 imperm, 3 nibiru, 3 gamma is safest). Since DM does not use their ED very much you can also play a dogmatika engine, this would give you some really powerful forms of interaction that most decks cannot reliably stop. Summoning an ecclesia to search a dogmatika punishment means you have a trap card that can take out 2 cards your opponent controls which will really hurt combo. Cards like artifact sanctum and ice dragon's prison also really hit hard as they're often unexpected tech people don't see coming. Cards like Summon Limit have always gone hand and hand with DM as the DM strategy doesnt summon all too much. Imo you need to pair DM with another engine to make it really threatening, on its own DM is not fast enough to keep up with more modern strategies
Happy Spooktober!

The following is a small excerpt of deck/article.[…]

Tri-Disaster Prison

Mokey Mokey Hokey Pokey

Fight Of The Amazoness