A section to seek help with a deck you are building.
By jachwalker
Hi guys

I'm a long time fan of Yu-Gi-Oh and watched the anime for years, but the meta confuses me, and I've never really built a proper deck.

Rather than use other people's decks, I want to be able to know how to build a deck myself, especially with the current meta.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
By YGOPRODeck
jachwalker wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:10 pm
Hi guys

I'm a long time fan of Yu-Gi-Oh and watched the anime for years, but the meta confuses me, and I've never really built a proper deck.

Rather than use other people's decks, I want to be able to know how to build a deck myself, especially with the current meta.

Thank you
Hey there!

I'll start by asking how much of the game do you understand in general? Do you understand the extra deck mechanics such as Synchro, Xyz, Pendulum and Links?

If not, I'd advise against a meta deck and use decks that will simply help you learn the mechanics of the game first of all.

After that, have a look at cards which we consider "Staples". These are cards that are generally useful to almost all decks.

Lastly, the main question is what kind of deck do YOU want to run? What modern archetypes do you like?

If I was to give you an extremely strong current Meta archetype, it would be Salamangreat but honestly I always tell people to play what they are interested in.

Interest will keep you attached to the game longer.
By jachwalker
Thanks for replying

I do understand all the mechanics of the game, even though I've never played with anything past fusion (except for Xyz and Pendulum), but yeah, I understand Link Summoning and all that

I'll have to have a look at the staples, then. Didn't realise there were any of them

As for what I want to run, I grew up with the GX series, so I tend to gravitate towards those decks, especially the HERO archetype and the Cyber dragon decks.

I think my main issue, after considering it, isn't so much meta as it is deck building skills. I've only ever brought structure decks because of the character or theme. I've never had enough money to get enough booster packs to get enough cards to build a custom deck.

So yeah, while I want to learn about the meta and build a deck that can hold its own, I'm more focused on just knowing how decks work and how to pick cards that work well and have synergy.

Thanks for the help, though. I really appreciate it
Last edited by jachwalker on Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
By jachwalker
YGOPRODeck wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:15 am
jachwalker wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:10 pm
Hi guys

Thank you
Hey there!

I'll start by asking how much of the game do you understand in general? Do you understand the extra deck mechanics such as Synchro, Xyz, Pendulum and Links?

If not, I'd advise against a meta deck and use decks that will simply help you learn the mechanics of the game first of all.

After that, have a look at cards which we consider "Staples". These are cards that are generally useful to almost all decks.

Lastly, the main question is what kind of deck do YOU want to run? What modern archetypes do you like?

If I was to give you an extremely strong current Meta archetype, it would be Salamangreat but honestly I always tell people to play what they are interested in.

Interest will keep you attached to the game longer.
Thanks for replying

I do understand all the mechanics of the game, even though I've never played with anything past fusion (except for Xyz and Pendulum), but yeah, I understand Link Summoning and all that

I'll have to have a look at the staples, then. Didn't realise there were any of them

As for what I want to run, I grew up with the GX series, so I tend to gravitate towards those decks, especially the HERO archetype and the Cyber dragon decks.

I think my main issue, after considering it, isn't so much meta as it is deck building skills. I've only ever brought structure decks because of the character or theme. I've never had enough money to get enough booster packs to get enough cards to build a custom deck.

So yeah, while I want to learn about the meta and build a deck that can hold its own, I'm more focused on just knowing how decks work and how to pick cards that work well and have synergy.

By YGOPRODeck
jachwalker wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:47 pm
Thanks for replying

Whoops completely missed this reply the first time around.

Deck Building Skill really comes with practice and ultimately you can't really be told how to be a good deckbuilder. Some people have it more than others.

What I will say is, you need to find your synergy cards and the best ratios for them. I don't play HERO or Cyber Dragon but I'll take one of my own decks as an example.

https://ygoprodeck.com/synchro-of-the-ocean/

One of my favorite cards is The Legendary Fisherman III and he's extremely powerful but hard to summon.

To break it down for you, he can't be searched from the deck and he can ONLY be summoned by Tributing The Legendary Fisherman II.

This is why I only run 1 copy of it. He's absolutely too bricky to run 3 copies of it purely because of how hard to summon he is.

So we run two copes of Legendary Fisherman II but this could easily be 3. Mainly because LF2 can search out LF3 if he leaves the field due to your opponent.

So on top of that I run 3 Moray of Greed. Because LF2 and LF3 are not easily searched, Moray of Greed will help to cycle your cards to make it easier to pull them from the deck. So I absolutely run this at 3 copies. Not only does it help search out LF2/LF3 but it always helps you gain a potentially better hand in general so it has multiple uses for the deck.

This is just a very small example in the grand scheme of things.

What I will say is focus on your main engine. Let's say regular Elemental HERO.

Elemental HERO Engine (the bulk of the deck)
- Main Monsters
- Complimentary Spells
- Complimentary Traps

Side Engine e.g. Phantom Knights (a small side addition to the deck)
- Side Engine Monsters
- Side Engine Spells

Rest of the Deck: General Monsters/Spells/Traps that aid the deck in general and are not specific to an archetype or engine

Most decks usually follow this theme of a main engine, side engine and then general cards that help the deck. It's a great way to start learning how to build better decks.

For example, a lot of decks can use the "Prophecy" cards as a side draw engine since cards like Spellbook Magician of Prophecy and Spellbook of Secrets + Spellbook of Knowledge are great tools for drawing and thinning the deck.

So for Elemental HERO. Pick a card. Maybe a boss monster type card such as Elemental HERO Divine Neos or Rainbow Neos. Then you have to ask yourself, what is the fastest way I can summon these cards to the field and possibly protect them? Look at cards that can aid in getting the cards needed to summon these cards fast. And go from there!
Frog Ceremony

The following is a small excerpt of deck/article.[…]

Abyss Actor - Odd eyes

INZEKTOR DECK POST BANLIST

Yang zing Foes 2019

Awesome deck bro